Sunday, May 17, 2009

ana momreda

yesterday was amazing. I will tell you about it in detail because it was so amazing. First we went to the Jordan River. It was so beautiful. On the way there we drove through the valley that had lots of people living in tents and camels and stuff. It was cool. The Jordan River is surrounded by lots of brush and tamarisk trees (theyre really pretty). We walked past the traditional baptismal site and down to a spot where we could touch the river. Everyone always says its a tiny brown-sludge thing thats not impressive. I thought it was beautiful. It really was! It was such a pretty area and it was neat to be there. Everyone in the group had an assignment to talk about each of the spots we were going that day, I was in charge of this spot. I shared the prophecy of Christ’s baptism in 1 Nephi and then I read the account from Matthew. I also shared a story that I found while I was studying a few nights ago. I had never noticed the story before. Its in John 10. Christ is preaching and the people begin persecuting Him. They threatened to stone Him. It says in the scriptures he left to The Jordan River to the site where he was baptized to abide (vs 39-40). I thought it was really special that he went back to this site during a time that must’ve been very hard for Him. It was neat to walk there and think of Him and His life. Also near the River is the mountain where Elijah ascended in a chariot of fire. The city of Jericho is a few miles in the background of the mountain.
Jordan River:

Elijahs hill

the Palestinian flag with the Israeli flag not too far in the distance





After the River we went to Mt Nebo. Mt Nebo is where people believe Moses was buried. We know he was actually translated, but this is the mountain where he would’ve come to look out on the promised land (numbers 27...or 26?). From the mountain you can see Jerusalem, dead sea, and many other sites. Its really beautiful. I thought of Brian because he has always had such a great testimony of Moses. I havent done much of my own studying, but I always remember Brian talking about why Moses couldn’t enter the promised land (numbers 20). its so humbling. The bible dictionary says that Moses is "the greatest of men".

MT NEBO:
Funny sign at the entrance




View from the mountain

One of the last spots we visited was my VERY favorite. It was in the middle of NOWHERE! We drove along the King's Highway (a road that many people from ancient times went along) to get there. There was no one around. No tourists. No buildings. Nothing but mountains of sand and rock for as far as you could see. The spot is called Makawir. Its the spot wear one of Herods great fortresses stood and where John the Baptist was beheaded. The car can only get to a mountain near the actual mountain, then you walk the rest of the way. Its a long walk up a mountain in the scorching heat. Along the way there were little caves in the mountain where we could stop and cool off. It may seem strange that this was my favorite spot... nothing but a cool breeze and a few pillars on top of a mountain. but it was incredible. To be so alone in the middle of nowhere. No one was around besides our little group of 10. You couldn’t see anything manmade around you . at all. It was such a neat feeling. To think of the people from the bible, being in this same land, seeing these same hills, maybe having similar thoughts as I was. How can you think of anything besides God? It was so beautiful. On the way back down the hill I let the group walk ahead and walked down enjoying the silence. From the top of the hill I looked down and could see a shepherd lying under a tent type covering with his sheep scattered around. He started to play music on his flute and the sheep ran together when they heard the music. It was such a neat thing to see and hear. It was just amazing! I have some cool pictures from the day. I'll send them another time. I hope everyone’s doing good!
love Karen


MAKAWIR:



hilarious sign...

this is why they have the sign...

the view of the mountain from the bottom

walking up the mountain








0 comments: