I know what your wondering...how did he do it?! Well let's just start at the beginning. Chandler and I first started noticing each other in the spring of 2007 (after being in the same ward for almost a year...). We went on one date and then the semester ended. I was staying in Provo for spring term but Chandler was going home to Vegas for the summer. So the night before he left we walked to the duck pond on the south side of BYU campus and just talked for a while. It was nice. I was starting to like him. So then he left for Vegas and we talked on the phone and I went down to Vegas one weekend with some friends. A few weeks later Chandler paid a surprise visit to Provo! We had a really fun weekend and stopped by the duck pond another night and talked...and had our first kiss! So then we were talking a lot more and we saw each other all summer and have been dating ever since (well...there were some "breaks" here or there but that was really just to mix it up a little). Fast forward about two years... Last week finals were starting. Thursday(4/16/09) Chandler stopped by in the afternoon (I was still in my sweats studying) and said he wanted to take me to dinner. I didnt really think anything of it because he takes me to dinner all the time (he's so great). So after he left I felt bad that I was so grungy and tried to get decent to go to dinner... When he picked me up I told him I wanted to go to this fastfood mexican place and he said he wanted to go somewhere nicer. He explained that since finals were starting friday he wanted this night to be our "date night". I'm not gonna lie, I thought "well if he's gonna propose this would probably be a good time"... but I've thought that a few times over the last couple of weeks so I really didnt think more than that. So then he pulls up at the duck pond...I got a little nervous.
Chandler: we should walk around the duck pond, I was thinking how it was about this time two years ago we had our first kiss here
Karen: no it wasn't...it was more like June (I'm really nervous...butterflies in my stomach)
Chandler: oh, yah, your right, well never mind then (starts to drive away)
Karen: (I get a little relieved because I start to think maybe he's not proposing... I know, I was freaking out) No! We can stop... it would still be nice to walk around
Chandler: yah, and I have a reservation for dinner so we need to kill time anyway (he didnt have a reservation)
So then we walk around and we go and sit down on a bench. Chandler started talking about things and I kept interrupting him and talking too. Finally Chandler was just like "stop talking!" (in a pleading, cute way...) Chandler has made that request a time or two before so I still wasnt convinced he was proposing, but I did start to get a little nervous again. Chandler started saying more things and I started to become more and more in denial. Chandler does say nice things a lot, and there's just no way he's proposing to me right now... Then I turn away and when I turn back Chandler has thrown himself to the ground and is holding out a ring.
Chandler: Karen Boyer will you marry me?
Karen: Chandler! Are you serious?!! (what was I thinking??? I'm cringing thinking about it)
Chandler: I'm kneeling in mud (it actually was duck poop and mud...)
We both jump up and I cant stop hugging him but still haven't said anything besides "Chandler!" over and over again. So I did finally say yes and I just kept laughing and hugging him and laughing and saying his name and hugging him. Chandler thought I lost my mind. I couldn't really talk for about the next half hour or so... I just had never been proposed to! I never really pictured how it would happen or how I would react but its pretty funny. I wish I would've practiced my reaction a little but I guess its just part of the story now! Chandler had his roommates blocking the pathways around the duckpond so no one could walk by (I found out after) so they came down and took some pictures of us which was really great. Chandler really was amazing. He said such special things, and he made sure we had pictures, and he did it at a spot that is way sentimental for us. I just loved it. He's my favorite. After we left the duck pond we drove to the temple to let it sink in and enjoy the moment a little longer. Then Chandler said he was gonna pass out because he hadn't eaten all day so we went to get some food (and Chandler went to the bathroom to splash some water on his face). We ate at one of my favorite restaurants and then drove home to call our families and tell everyone the long awaited joyous glorious amazing news!!! Now here's what you've really been waiting for...
Thursday, April 16, 2009
I have a fiance...
Posted by Karen at 10:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





13 comments:
Let me be the first one (on your blog, anyways...) to say CONGRATS! You got a great guy! We love Chandler too. So happy for you both and glad you'll be joining this crazy, big, fun, loving Peterson/Hyer family. (I'm adding you to my blog, now that you're
"family!")
yippy! the long awaited news has finally come! welcome to the family. I haven't seen that many smiles on Chandler in a long time.
We love you Karen!
CONGRATS... We are so happy for you!! We are excited to have you in the family! You guys are so funny- I laughed so hard when Tanner told me about Chandler kneeling in bird poop... and then when I saw the picture of you too and it was on his pants- i seriously about peed my pants. LOL. soo funny- that will be a story to tell your kids. haha.
-andrea
Karen!! Congrats! I am halfway out the door and skimming through your story. I am supposed to be taking a test right now but couldnt stop reading your blog. SO CUTE! Marriage is the best. You will find that out very soon! Congrats!! I love it.
Thanks for writing the story down so I could hear it again! I'm so happy for you guys, I hope you don't go crazy being apart for the next while! You and Chandler look just perfect together. Wouldn't have be awesome to live in the same apt complex one day? ahhh, I could only imagine how much fun we would have.
I was just looking at the pictures again. My Favorite is where your hugging Chandler. You both look so in love!
Yay! I love you, and you look SO happy! I had to come to the blog to hear the story, but I'm so glad I got the detailed version by doing so. My favorite picture is the one where you are squeezing Chandler's neck off, and it says Yay! under it. You are too cute. See you at school tomorrow :) haha
CONGRATS! and now we are blog buddies :) you are beautiful. i am so happy for you. and yay for august weddings!
we love that you posted this so we could get all the details! the night you called your were pretty giddy! Chandler looks so happy!
Congrats Karen! I can't wait for the wedding!!
I am so happy for you guys. What a PERFECT couple! You two are going to have a such a wonderful and successful marriage.. I can't wait for the wedding. Maybe I will start making my paper chain countdown! I'm serious! :)
Chandler rocks
Time for some wedding updates!
Post a Comment