I had a fun weekend! It was really nice to do something besides go to the hospital everyday...
Friday we had church. The ward is really nice. Well there were about 40 arabic speaking students from BYU so I dont really know who is actually in the ward. But my instructor, Elaine, is the relief society president so we're going to something tonight where we will really meet everyone. The ambassador is in our ward. THE ambassador for the US. Well, that might be kind of secret...he doesnt come to church for our safety but his family was there. We get to meet him!
Oh yah, yesterday we saw the pope. Vivaa Papa! haha, thats what everyone was yelling. And they played this song "benedictos (clap clap clap clap clap) beinvenido" ALL day. It has a catchy tune and Its stuck in my head all the time! It was cool because we were really close to him. There arent too many catholics in Jordan. They gave communion to EVERYONE. That took a long time. We all got sunburnt. It wasnt really a spiritual experience, more like seeing a famous person. Everyone cheered and clapped... But he said really nice things. He said women are sacred and special. He prayed for Jordan. It was good.
On saturday we got to do some tourist things! It was so fun. We went to Jaresh and Ajloun. I dont really have time to be a historian so you'll have to look it up. But it was fun. EVERYONE wanted to talk to us. We got mobbed like the whole day. They wanted to take pictures with us and speak english and stuff. It was fun. I felt famous. Me and another girl from the group were walking and we saw this family taking pictures. The dad was taking a picture of his two little children and the mom was holding a baby. We stopped and smiled and then kept walking. The dad came after us and said "you take a picture?" We thought he wanted us to take his pictures but when we walked over he wanted us to be in the picture with his little kids! haha, it was kind of random. The kids looked scared. But thats what everyone does. They just love taking pictures of us. They always want to know if we like Jordan. "welcome in the Jordan" "you like the Jordan?" I hear it ALL day long. Ive never heard the word welcome so much in my whole life. I like how they say it too. Like if I say "thank you" they say "welcome", not "your welcome" just "welcome". I like it. So I think it will be easier to just show you all the pictures when I get home becasue they all need explanations with them...but I attached a few just for fun. Theyre just from our trip to Jerash and ajloun.
Now I'm going to tell you randome things about Jordan. Showering here is kind of a bummer... The showers have electric heaters and we always seem to blow the fuse. One night we blew the electricity of the whole house. So cold showers are quite common. Freezing cold. But even when the heater works its STEAMING hot. like it hurts. So ice cold or steaming hot are your shower options. I hate it. its seriously so hot I just kind of move from side to side under it. I never just stand there. Just quick little swipes under the water. But I hate cold so much more. Also there are hills EVERYWHERE. I should take some pictures. We walk up about 3 hills to get to the hospital and 4 to get home. That doesnt include the roads that just have a steady incline. I had seriouse shin splints last week. But I need the excersize so its good. Everyone always asks if Jordan looks like how I pictured it. It does, accept the hills. I thought it was flat. It reminds me a lot of Greece. THe landscape and the food as well. baklava and olive oil and pita and stuff. I should send a picture of our street and our house. I'll try to do that later. We have a pretty busy week.
Well I love you all. I miss you. I miss warm showers. I miss speaking english and everyone understanding me. Let me know if you have any questions...
love Karen



0 comments:
Post a Comment