I seriously just had the worst day. Man this is gonna be a hard experience for me. I think it can only get better from here because this day was so bad. The hospital is REALLY different from anything Ive ever seen. Its like a prison. Theres like 6 beds in one room and all the stuff is ancient. But I didnt feel very good today and I fainted in a patients room. FAINTED! like 3 times. I have never fainted in my life. it was so scary. I felt SO stupid and scared. I had to lay down on the nasty floor and put my feet up and everyone was around me and Every time they tried to make me stand up I would faint again. Luckily I felt it coming and didnt just collapse and hit my head or anything. Oh my gosh it was so awful. I dont even know why it happened but it was awful. The nursing director on the floor came and she was sooo cool. She took me to her office and made everyone else go away and got me really yummy food and I just laid there and slept for a while. She said I was like her daughter. Such a nice woman. It had been a hard morning. The Jordanian nursing students are really competitive and they were like quizzing me all morning and it was a little overwhelming so fainting probably didnt raise their confidence in me... Only 3 more weeks of this... Its really sad how bad their hospitals are. And this is probably a good one. I guess it'll help me learn really basic nursing skills because there is NO technology at all. Like they use mercury thermometers and they aren't very clean either. I watched someone put in an IV and it definitely wasn't very clean technique. I'm sorry I am just rambling about nursing…
The good part was when I was in the nursing directors office she was asking me about the church a lot. At first she was offended because I wouldn't drink her tea or coffee but then I explained why. I feel like Muslims understand us (mormons) a lot. Especially the women. Like I think they would be really good Mormons. The men are mixed. Some are really intimidating and wont even shake your hand, but they're not all that way. haha, most of the younger guys yell "welcome!!" at us when theyre driving by. The other day we went somewhere to eat and none of the workers spoke English so they told us to just sit down at the tables. After a little while a guy came in and took our order. He didnt really know what anything was and he got all our orders wrong but we just went with it. At the end when we tried to tip him he wouldn't take the money and he finally confessed he didnt even work there. They had just asked him to come help us! haha, it was pretty funny. They treat Americans "special". Like sometimes I feel bad because they really do treat us different from everyone else.
So a funny thing about Jordan. The last couple mornings I heard this ice cream truck driving around the streets at like 7am. At least I thought it was an ice cream truck... It was like an Arabian version, like Arabian music playing. I thought it was kind of strange because its not even hot and it was so early. I found out its a gas truck. The people have to buy gas for their stoves and stuff so the trucks drive around all morning. Funny. But seriously the classic Arabian music you imagine is playing everywhere. Like cell phone ring tones and in restaurants and stuff. I thought it was just for show...haha, but they really do have that music everywhere. And yes, its cold here. Well, its not exactly cold but its definitely not hot. We all packed as light of clothes as possible and I have to wear the same sweater everyday... But I'm not complaining because I'm sure it'll get hot soon and I'll be missing this.
This is a video clip with the gas truck driving by when we’re walking home from the market.
I wish I could just photocopy my journal because I have already had so many crazy experiences the last few days. But Ive been trying to write it all down. Hopefully I'll get to tell you all about it when I get back.
Sorry this is so long. Its really hard to find internet here. I cant find wireless anywhere. We're hoping we can set something up in our house to use the internet and make phone calls but it hasnt happened yet so please be patient. Hopefully in the next few days... The house is really nice, I'll send pictures soon. I want to tell you about the people who live upstairs too. They're really cool. I'll do that later.
Ugh, I just wish today wasn't so crazy. Ok, its just a bad day. I know I'll have some good days...
love Karen(5/4/09)
p.s. sorry about the bad spelling errors, the keyboard is weird...



0 comments:
Post a Comment